Rice. It’s the staple and counter-part to so many delicious meals and the ‘must-have’ at parties or gatherings. As someone who craves rice at least once a week and eats rice pretty much with every meal, I was determined to continue to explore rice recipes.
Jollof Rice is an amazingly delicious, tomato-based recipe from Nigeria. *break* sorry, my mouth was literally watering as I’m typing this. It’s a perfect one-pot dish that can feed 5-6 people! The medleys of the flavor pair so well with a tomato-based stew chicken (recipe to follow) that you can’t go wrong. If you’re someone who enjoys sweet, tart and spicy – give this recipe a shot!
Vegetarian Nigerian Jollof Rice (Tomato-Based) Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 50 Minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
Vegetarian Jollof Rice: What You’ll Need
- 2 cups of parboiled rice
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 of a habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup of RedPack’s canned crushed tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1/4 a stick of butter
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
*Note: I like using a crock-pot to make this rice because of the heavy and tight lid.
*Note: I like to set aside 1/4 of a cup of diced onions and red pepper and add during the same step as the peas (step #7)
Vegetarian Jollof Rice – The Step by Step
- In a blender, combine onion, red pepper, garlic, habanero pepper and set aside.
- In medium-to-high heat, add butter to pan. Once the butter is dry add your blended mixture and lower heat to medium.
- Cook for ~5-6 minutes then add RedPack’s canned crushed tomatoes. Cook for another ~6-9 minutes.
- NOTE: You’ll need to measure 1 cup because the can will contain sauce left over which you can use for another recipe.
- Add your washed parboil rice, and stir until the mixture coats the rice. Add 3 & 1/2 cups of water.
- Add 3 & 1/2 cups of water and cover lid. Cook and leave it alone for 20 minutes.
- NOTE: Lower heat slightly (the water should be a simmer)
- Stir rice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add frozen peas & carrots and lower the heat to low and let it steam for another ~6-10 minutes with the lid closed.
- Toss rice, serve hot & enjoy!