As someone who is always trying to find a balance between healthy eating, and an equally delicious dish – I’ve found that stirred-fried okra offers that perfect balance.
Many would will chalk this vegetable up to being extremely slimy, and that can steer people away from eating it, BUT, if cooked right you won’t taste sliminess, at all. There’s two keys that make this perfect..
- Add salt after you sautee.
- Have the okra slices dry before you use them for at least 3 hours, or overnight
I can’t tell you what a huge difference those two points will make in your fried okra recipe. Let me know how it goes, and don’t forget to check out my Instagram for more ideas!
Indian-Guyanese Okra, Onions and Tomatoes Recipe: Step-By-Step
What you’ll need
- 4 cups of okra
- Measurement is before you cut these in sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- Smash these cloves for maximum flavor
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- You’ll need to slice these in halfs
- 1/4 of a habanero/scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 of a medium sized onion cut into slices
Cooking The Okra
- Sauté 4 smashed garlic cloves in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until golden.
- Add 4 cups okra (halved lengthwise)
- Cook until the okra is tender and bright, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes; cook until just, and add the sliced an onion. bursting, 3 minutes.
- Finish with salt, and pepper.